Sunday, March 1, 2009

banh mi...

Oh, my, banh mi.

While driving down North Ave. to drop off some posters for an upcoming art exhibit
at Heaven Gallery, E and I passed Bon Bon near the cross at Western Ave. (2333 W. North Ave.)
While I frequently eat down off Broadway and Argyle (which is mostly Vietnamese. You MUST go to Pho 777. Now. They are ridiculously nice) and had seen signs for banh mi, I had never tried it. Hmmm...Vietnamese sandwiches. A lingering cough/cold combo has my tastebuds in bland mode, so today I needed food that sounded REALLY GOOD. You know what I'm talking about?

I have to say, I love a good sandwich and this place was excellent. A double thumbs up for good grub. I tried the portabello sandwich, and E the pork with a lychee drink. He loved his, but I couldn't get much of a description from him between bites. Mine had the perfect spiciness (jalapenos), pickled veggies (think daikon, carrots, cucumber), the nicest amount of mayo for taste and hydration, a sprinking of cilantro and portabellos that were inoffensive (as I often find food from the mushroom family to be, well, icky). The best part, aside from the kind, fun owners? The bread. Oh, the bread. I love me some carbs, and this bread was perfection- soft and chewy, but not so much that my jaw hurt.

Even the coffee was amazing- nutty flavor with something sweet and milky. I didn't ask, because I was too busy liking it. Try the coffee sandwich combo for $5.50. What a deal!

Interested in making this at home? Angry Chicken blogged about creating her own banh mi months ago. I haven't tried her recipe, but she's pretty spot-on with most DIY endeavors.

No comments: