Monday, January 12, 2009

thinking green...

I had the opportunity to go to Iceland a few years back, when my sister was studying in Copenhagen, but we went to Northern Denmark and Norway instead. I loved Oslo (the Vikingship Huset! The Kon-Tiki Museum! The glasses that haven't left my face since!) and driving through Denmark, I could see why so many Scadinavians settled in the Northern Midwest. It looked so much like Wisconsin. Grassy, open and brown in spots, inviting. Iceland, though...something special. It makes my nose tingle like I'm going to cry when I think about how beautiful these places look.

Photos by Bob O'Connor, based in Boston
(via my new favorite internet reading material, A Cup of Jo)

Ethan talks about going to Greece or South America, someplace warm, but I can't get that grass out of my mind. Check out the rest of the photos for an escape from where ever you are...

5 comments:

Joanna Goddard said...

thank you so much for the kind words! and yes, iceland is soooo beautiful.

Joanna Goddard said...

ps. i've never been there, but my dad is OBSESSED with it.

Laura said...

So Green and So Blue. i think I must go.

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Gorgeous gorgeous! I'm one of those replanted, Midwestern Scandinavians and would like to return to The Homeland someday and see exactly how closely it mirrors Minnesota.

craftysunday said...

Sarah Von, if you get a chance to go, you must take SAS (Scandinavian air). They serve you HOT sticky buns and steaming towels for, just, oh feeling like you're flying first class when you're not.

Once you get there...oh. It's magical.