Friday, September 18, 2009

shelf reading.

Lots of homework, these days, and schedule that keeps me up (and wakes me up!) at odd hours. I rarely have time to surf the web (tear) and keep up with blogs and readings I enjoy (mostly reading things I don't enjoy). A coworker at the library turned me on to this amazing site, and I had to look through it.

Pitt and several partners have collaborated to create digital archives of historic Western Pennsylvania. One archive in particular, the Smoke Control Lantern Slides, is absolutely breath-taking. Before 1941, at t
he height of industry, Pittsburgh (which basically sits in a bowl in the earth) had ridiculously terrible air-quality. Apparently men who worked downtown brought 2 shirts to work because by midday, the first show would be completely soiled. You can read about the legislation passed to clean the air on the site, and see shocking before and after pictures.

This one is my absolute favorite.



(photo Smoky Church, ca. 1940, creator unknown, via the Historic Pittsburgh Digital Library as cited above)

Good night!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi, Mindi

Boden,
yes...I get the catalog now & then...I like the bright colors & patterns, and their striped shirts, which always seem to be sold out in my size.

I wanted to thank you for your kind words you sent me via email the other day. They helped,and I'm feeling better. Thank-you :)

Good luck with your studies.

Beautiful (if not kind of startling) photo in this post. And I thought L.A. smog was bad!